There are many ways to give back to our neighbors. Studies show that those who participate in volunteer services see an increase of 7.35% in life satisfaction and 9.08% in physical health. Here are nine ways to get involved and give your time to great causes in Winston-Salem.
- GreeNest is a local program that helps individuals and families transition to sustainable housing. Volunteers sort, clean, and organize furniture and household goods that have been donated by the community and stage it into a “showroom.”
- Samaritan Ministries is Winston-Salem’s only soup kitchen, serving 300-400 guests daily. Spots are open for volunteers to serve food from the kitchen daily.
- Senior Services, Inc. is recruiting Meals-on-Wheels volunteers to deliver hot meals to senior residents. Other opportunities include administrative duties, friendly one-on-one calls, or visits to local seniors.
- Family Services of Forsyth County helps build healthy families and assists at-risk children through counseling and development services. Volunteers can read to children, support teachers, and serve as event volunteers.
- Forsyth Humane Society offers multiple opportunities — whether it’s cleaning, community outreach, or providing comfort to an animal in need.
- Cancer Services, Inc. provides services to cancer patients and survivors — and their families — at no cost. Volunteers can fundraise, landscape office space, write encouraging notes to patients, and more.
- Passionate about keeping our city looking fresh? Volunteers with Keep Winston-Salem Beautiful participate in clean-up events, beautification projects, and educational activities.
- Dress for Success Winston-Salem is designed to empower women to achieve economic independence. Volunteers can donate clothes, help with resume building, and develop networking skills.