Carrying quarters is still recommended if you want to park downtown — but the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership wants to change that. The organization wants to modernize meters in 2024 to accept credit cards and digital payments. While those changes are being designed and implemented, here’s a quick guide to avoiding a parking ticket:
- There are 800 metered and unmetered parking spots downtown.
- Single-space meters only accept quarters, and offer anywhere from 30-minute parking to 10-hour parking (although most range from one to two hours).
- Pay stations are less common but do accept cash, coins, or credit cards.
- Street parking is free after 5 p.m. and on weekends.
- Lots + decks also offer hourly parking.