The 2023-2024 season for the Carolina Thunderbirds is underway. Here’s the action you can expect on the ice:
Eyes on the prize
The single A minor professional hockey team is in the Federal Prospects Hockey League (FPHL). They’ve been in Winston-Salem since 2017, and have their sights set on a second title. The team won the Commissioner’s Cup in 2019 and made it to the finals last season.
Head coach Steve Harrison, aka “Coach Harry,” is in his first season with the Thunderbirds. April Ogle, the franchise’s director of marketing, says fans are already noticing his impact.
“Fans were saying in our home opener that in our home opener that they were already seeing that type of unity on the ice and they were attributing it to our new head coach who we just adore,” Ogle told WStoday.
Thunderbirds fans — who call themselves “The Flock” — have been voted the best fans in the FPHL. More than 15,000 fans follow the team’s Facebook page, where many team updates and announcements are posted. Home games at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex draw fans of all ages.
- Ride the Zamboni for $20 — proceeds will be donated to local nonprofits
- Children ages 12 + under can enjoy perks in the Flow Kids Club for $20
- Special concessions like a Thunderbirds-themed cupcake and apple cider donuts
- Shop the new merchandise store online
- Request birthday or special occasion announcements to be made during the game
The Thunderbirds will host CommTech Veterans Night on Friday, Nov. 17. The team’s final home game is April 12, 2024.